The New York State Student Success Center (NYSSSC) supports a Student Success Coaching Academy. The Student Success Coaching Academy features experienced, innovative leaders from within NYS who are committed to student success. Coaches support institutions in their journey to enhancing student success and completion.
Coaching Academy Updates:
The Coaching Academy Cohort 2 in process! We will have another Cohort 3 in Spring 2022.
Check back in early Fall 2021 for how to apply. Or sign up here to receive information.
There is a growing need within public colleges for leaders that have the knowledge, skills and expertise in change leadership strategies to support student success reform. Coaching strategies have been used nationally by Achieving the Dream, Completion by Design, and AACC to further support transformation student success reforms. By developing and supporting organizational coaches at a state level, the NYSSSC seeks to develop leaders who can help create and sustain institutional to ultimately enhance student success and completion at their home college and beyond.
Coaches provide facilitation of change management principles, content expertise around specific coaching topics, and strategic support to guided pathways colleges, as well as other colleges focused on student success reforms. Colleges can engage coaches in short or long-term support of student success projects. If a college is interested in working with a coach, they should reach out to Jennifer Miller, Executive Director, at jennifer(dot)miller(at)suny(dot)edu for more information.
Coaching Academy Overview
The New York State Student Success Center (NYSSSC) Coaching Academy provides a professional development & training program for college leaders to support student success reforms at campuses across the state. By using effective coaching practices and project management strategies within a student success and guided pathways context, the Coaching Academy seeks to:
- Develop confident, skilled, thought leader peer mentor and institute coaches;
- Build substantive student success reform capacity, innovation and leadership across the state;
- Support evidence-based strategies to support student success reforms at scale for all students;
- Identify structural and cultural practices and policies that positively impact campus-based student success and support closing equity gaps.
Coaching Academy Leadership Team:
- Chair: Michael Baston, President, Rockland Community College
- Wendy Beesley, Assistant Dean for Student Success, SUNY Ulster County Community College
- Jennifer Miller, Executive Director, NYS Student Success Center
- Carol Ross, Vice President for Student Affairs & Chief Diversity Officer, SUNY Broome Community College
- Garry Sanders, SUNY SAIL Leadership Fellow & International Coaching Federation (ICF) Professional Certified Coach
- Andrea Wade, Provost & Vice President for Academic Services, Monroe Community College
- Lia Wetzstein, Interim Executive Director, Community College Research Initiatives (CCRI) at the University of Washington
Peer Mentor Coaches:
- Renee Dimino, Associate Professor and SUNY Guided Pathways Project Director, Monroe Community College
- Michele Forte, Manager, Student Support, SUNY Online, SUNY System Administration and professor, SUNY Empire State
- Patty Munsch, College Associate Dean for Student Engagement Assessment, Suffolk County Community College
- Brenda White, Professor, Mathematics, SUNY Morrisville
Questions? Contact Jennifer Miller at jennifer dot miller at suny dot edu or call 518-320-1370.
Funding for the Coaching Academy is provided by Jobs for the Future (JFF) and its partners.